Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why I skipped school to watch sesame street

As a kid, I loved sesame street. It was the equivalent of crack to a junkie. In England, they only showed the bugger at 12:30pm, so the only way to get my fix was to skip school. I would pull off all sorts of elaborate bullshit to watch the ambiguously gay big bird and pals. It wasn't so bad, I was getting an education of sorts, right?
I remember mastering the art of creating fake vomit. It was impossible to convince my mum that I was sick. One minute she was mummy, the next, fucking Columbo. But puke....well theres no debating its presence. I show her some nice pasta sauce based fake puke and the investigation was off. So after all these years I took a little look back at sesame street and other then Oscar the grouch, I realized the only other thing I liked were the trippy animated shorts about the alphabet and numbers. Bert and Ernie were predictable, big bird was stoned and the count and cookie monster just got repetitive. I hear the modern cookie monster tells kids to eat healthy and minimize the cookie intake...fucking sellout. So here's a little clip illustrating the psychedelic nature of the alphabet. Those illustrators were some cool-ass hippies.


No comments: